As the countdown to Fall 2024 New York Fashion Week begins, the city is abuzz with anticipation for a week brimming with runway spectacles, iconic milestones, cutting-edge collections, and, of course, the hottest spots to eat, drink, and shop. Here’s your short guide to all the excitement happening in the Big Apple.
Before the official kick-off, anticipation builds with the screening of the film “Sophie’s Choice“, organized by Lanvin on the occasion of its 40th anniversary. This star-studded event sets the stage for a week of glamour and intrigue, as Hollywood celebrities including Meryl Streep are expected to attend. Then, on February 9, the excitement ramps up a notch with the much-anticipated second Peter Do fashion show at Helmut Lang, marking the official start of the festivities. Throughout the week, fans will have the opportunity to discover a wide spectrum of collections, with designers unveiling their latest creations.
THEMES AND TRENDS:
As the fashion world impatiently awaits catwalk revelations, all eyes are on the thematic inspirations that will shape this season’s collections. With nods to Truman Capote‘s legendary black and white ball and the timeless elegance of Hollywood’s golden age, designers are set to unleash a wave of swan-inspired creations. From sculpted waves to cheeky reinterpretations of iconic looks, the stage is set for an unprecedented sartorial spectacle.
Amidst the glitz and glamour, it’s also a season of celebration for several designers marking significant milestones. From Tory Burch‘s 20th anniversary to Adam Lippes‘ decade-long journey in the industry, each brand has a unique story to tell. Marc Jacobs‘ 40th-anniversary recent show lived up to the hype on many fronts, from whimsical wigs and doll shoes with curved heels to shape-shifting garments, capturing the essence of creativity and imagination.
NEWCOMERS AND COMEBACKS:
Amidst the established names, the week also features noteworthy debuts and comebacks. French designer Ludovic de Saint Sernin, renowned for pushing the boundaries of gender expression, makes his highly anticipated New York debut. “Now feels like the right time for me to finally tend to my community [in New York] and give them my best work,” he expressed.
Derek Lam, absent from the NYFW runway since the fall 2018 season, returns, promising a showcase of his perfectly tailored flared pants. Additionally, Delpozo, the Spanish label with a captivating history under designer Josep Font, is re-launching just in time for its 50th anniversary under new ownership. Tommy Hilfiger and Monse are also making their returns, adding an extra layer of excitement to the week.
- Costume Institute: Explore the “Women Dressing Women” exhibition, celebrating the female forces shaping fashion through the ages.
- The Jewish Museum: Delve into the “Mood of the Moment: Gaby Aghion and the House of Chloé” exhibition, offering insights into the iconic fashion house’s legacy.
- Museum at FIT: Discover the resurgence of 1980s proportions at the “Statement Sleeves” show, showcasing bold and dramatic sleeves making a comeback in contemporary fashion.
WHERE TO INDULGE:
- Colbo: Start your day at this chic multi-disciplinary retail space in the Lower East Side, where expertly crafted third-wave coffee awaits amidst a curated selection of vintage shirts and emerging designs.
- Coqodaq and Portrait Bar: Conveniently located near Ludovic de Saint Sernin and Area’s shows, these establishments offer the perfect setting for late-night drinks and bites.
WHERE TO SHOP:
- Batsheva: Experience the whimsical charm of Batsheva’s first-ever store at 166 Elizabeth Street, where ruched fabrics and vintage chairs promise a one-of-a-kind shopping experience.
- KidSuper Headquarters: Explore the expansive new headquarters of KidSuper in Williamsburg, featuring a store, art gallery, and design studios.
- Gucci’s Wooster Street Flagship: Discover the renovated flagship store of Gucci on Wooster Street, offering a glimpse into the brand’s luxurious world.
In summary, Fall 2024 New York Fashion Week promises to leave behind a trail of memorable moments and remarkable showcases. From the debut of new talents to the triumphant returns of established designers, the city returns to its usual rhythm, yet the impact of this dynamic week continues to resonate, shaping the future of fashion in the Big Apple and beyond.